Food and Healthy Eating - Adults
habits are essential to live life to the fullest!
Healthy eating helps you live life to the fullest. It gives you the
energy and nutrients you need to make the most out of your days. Healthy eating
also helps to prevent chronic disease, a type of sickness that goes on for a
long time and often does not go away completely. With good healthy eating habits, you are able
to enjoy your life for a longer time, with better health!
Adopting healthy eating habits – what to do?
The first step to change is knowing what to do to have healthier eating
habits. Canada’s Food Guide is the best tool to give you that information. It shows you what
kind of foods are part of healthy eating, their portions sizes and how much you
need, depending on your age and sex.
Tips for healthy eating
- Choose the best portion size for yourself – even the healthiest food can be unhealthy if eaten in larger quantities! A healthy plate is ½ full with vegetables, ¼ full with whole grain foods and ¼ full with protein foods. Listen to your body cues to decide whether you are full or not!
- Get your vegetables and fruits in! – They are full of important nutrients such as fibre and vitamins, and their different colours and flavours make healthy eating fun and exciting.
- Choose more whole grains – make at least half of your daily grain food choices whole grains. They are heart-friendly and rich in fibre, vitamins and minerals. Examples are whole grain oats, barley, brown rice, brown pasta and whole-grain wheat.
- Have a variety of protein foods. Foods like beans, nuts, lentils, tofu, eggs, and yogurt are excellent sources of protein that give you healthy nutrients and the chance to be creative in the kitchen! Choose plant-based protein sources more often; they are healthy and climate-friendly.
- Make water your drink of choice.
- See more tips for healthy eating!
For more information on healthy eating related topics visit: