habits are essential to live life to the fullest!
Healthy eating helps you live life to the fullest. It gives you the
energy and nutrients you need to make the most out of your days. Healthy eating
also helps to prevent chronic disease, a type of sickness that goes on for a
long time and often does not go away completely. With good healthy eating habits, you are able
to enjoy your life for a longer time, with better health!
Adopting healthy eating habits – what to do?
The first step to change is knowing what to do to have healthier eating
habits. Canada’s Food Guide is the best tool to give you that information. It shows you what
kind of foods are part of healthy eating, their portions sizes and how much you
need, depending on your age and sex.
Tips for healthy eating
- Get your vegetables and fruits in! – They are full of important nutrients such as fibre and vitamins and their different colours and flavours make healthy eating fun and exciting. Aim for 7-10 portions every day.
- Have more whole grains – make them at least half of your grain food choices each day. They are richer in fibre, vitamins and minerals and good for your heart health. Examples are oats, barley or whole wheat bread.
- Don’t forget the milk products – they are a good source of protein, calcium and vitamin D. Besides, they are quite tasty and can boost the flavour of most recipes! They also work great as a healthy snack. Aim for 2 portions every day.
- Have a variety of meat and its alternatives. Foods like beans, nuts, lentils, tofu and eggs are great sources of protein that give you healthy nutrients and the chance to be creative in the kitchen!
- Choose the best portion size for yourself – even the healthiest food can be unhealthy if eaten in larger quantities! A healthy plate is ½ full with vegetables, ¼ full with grain products and ¼ full with meat and alternatives. Listen to your body cues on when you are full or not!
- See more tips for healthy eating
For more information on healthy eating related topics visit: