HEALTHY EATING WHILE WE ARE OUT
Eating out can
be both healthy and enjoyable
Eating out is becoming more and more common. Making healthy choices while eating out can be hard, but here are some tips for making healthier choices when you aren’t the cook!
can you do to make your outside meals healthier?
- Get it on the side: Ask to have dressings, gravies, sauces, and other condiments on the side. That way, you can control how much goes into your food.
- Smaller portions: Often restaurants serve us a lot more than what we need for one meal. Share an entrée with a friend or your partner, or ask for a lunch size portion if possible.
- Side dishes: Order a side that includes vegetables like a salad or steamed vegetables.
- How it is cooked: Order options that are baked, broiled, grilled, steamed, braised instead of fried or deep fried.
- Eat more meals at home! You will save money if you spend more time cooking fresh ingredients at home. We have so many local food venders in the area; take advantage of the fresh local food! Family meals at home also have positive effects on children and teens
For more information on healthy eating while you are out: