Parenting and Pregnancy Support
Do you or someone you know need support for a
healthy pregnancy, as a new parent or as your/their child grows and develops?
If so, Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) may be able to help. HBHC is a
free home visiting program that supports pregnant women and families with
children not yet in school.
No matter where you are in your parenting journey, HBHC can support you!
You can learn about:
I am pregnant:
- Changes in your body
- Emotional changes
- How your baby grows
- Healthy eating and physical activity
- Labour and birth classes
- Preparing to add a baby to your life and to
I have a new baby:
- Healthy parent-child relationships
- Feeding your baby
- Playing with your baby
- Keeping your baby safe
- Staying physically and emotionally healthy
- Being a parent
- Resources in your community
I have a toddler / child:
- Activities for young children
- Providing safe, secure and a loving home
- Parenting topics such as feeding, positive
discipline, toilet training, and immunizations
- Building your parenting support system.
I know of a parent or pregnant woman who could use support:
Who can participate in HBHC?
- Pregnant women
- Families with new babies
- Families with children who are not in school
Who should participate in HBHC?
Any person or parent who has challenges with:
- Adjusting to being pregnant or having a new
- Bonding with their challenging baby or toddler
- Coping with stressful life events
- Being alone and needs help to find supportive
- Helping their baby with growth and development
- Day-to-day parenting
- Building strong, loving relationships.
How does the program work?
- The program is free
- After a person consents or says ‘yes’ to
receive service from HBHC, a Public Health Nurse will call to find out
more information about the family
- The Public Health Nurse will connect them with
appropriate services and may also refer them to the Home Visiting Program,
which offers longer-term support from a Public Health Nurse and a Family
- HBHC is voluntary for parents. Families may
choose to leave the program
at any time.
For more information or to sign up for the Healthy
Babies Healthy Children Program call 866-747-4305 and ask to speak to a HBHC
A Healthy Start for Baby and Me, Best Start (Free PDF) https://resources.beststart.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/E28-E.pdf