Parenting in Timiskaming
Whether you’re thinking of getting pregnant, are pregnant or have a child, the Healthy Babies Healthy Children nurses can provide you with helpful and up to date information.
Click below to learn more:
Healthy Babies, Healthy Children Program (0 to 6 Years)
A child's early years - from before birth to age six - are very important. Healthy babies are more likely to develop into healthy children, and healthy children are more likely to grow up to be healthy teenagers and healthy adults.
Our Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) staff are here to help children get a healthy start in life. The program does this by helping infants and children up to age six and their families through:
- screening and assessments to see if there are any risks that could affect a child's healthy development
- referrals to community programs and services. We help in finding community programs and resources on topics such as: breastfeeding, nutrition and health services, parenting programs and resources, and family literacy programs.
Am I eligible?
Healthy Babies Healthy Children is a free and voluntary program for:
- expecting parents
- families with young children from birth up to the age of six years old
How do I access the program?
- To find out more or to get support, contact Timiskaming Health Unit and ask to speak to a Healthy Babies Healthy Children nurse
- Healthy Babies Healthy Children brochure
Other services THU offers to families with young children include:
Tips for new parents
Looksee checklist (developmental checklist)
Ministry of Children & Youth Services