The Special Food Event Permit allows a public health inspector to review your menu items to ensure that:
- someone with knowledge and training in safe food preparation is in charge and that,
- food safety procedures are practiced.
Permits are NOT required in the following situations:
- For a catered event where the caterer is professionally recognized and inspected by the Timiskaming Health Unit.
- For an event taking place in an inspected facility where the event is run by the owners of the facility.
- For a private event (members only, family-only, company events, etc.) where the general public is not invited.
Applying for a Special Food Event Permit:
- Read the Guide so you are aware of the requirements.
- Complete the “Special Food Event Permit Application”.
- Submit a completed form to the Timiskaming Health Unit at least 14 days prior to the event. Drop off to one of our offices or email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Obtain permit from the Timiskaming Health Unit and post the permit in a clearly visible location during event.
- Be sure to obtain approvals from any other agencies that may have requirements, such as building, fire and police departments.
Guide for a Special Event Food Permit and Application for Health Department Approval (PDF)